[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] peps: Revert PEP 430 to Final.

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:36:28 CET 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 5:07 AM, nick.coghlan
<python-checkins at python.org> wrote:

> http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/1ccf682bdfc9
> changeset:   4575:1ccf682bdfc9
> user:        Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
> date:        Sun Oct 28 22:06:46 2012 +1000
> summary:
>   Revert PEP 430 to Final.
> -To help ensure future stability even of links to the in-development version,
> -the ``/dev/`` subpath will be redirected to the appropriate version specific
> -subpath (currently ``/3.4/``).
>  * ``http://docs.python.org/x/*``
>  * ``http://docs.python.org/x.y/*``
> +* ``http://docs.python.org/dev/*``
>  * ``http://docs.python.org/release/x.y.z/*``
>  * ``http://docs.python.org/devguide``
> +The ``/dev/`` URL means the documentation for the default branch in source
> +control.

I noticed on an older issue in the tracker that the following deep,
in-development link is broken:

http://docs.python.org/dev/2.6/library/multiprocessing.html

(in comment http://bugs.python.org/issue4711#msg78151 )

Can something be done to preserve those deep links, or is it not worth
worrying about?  I'm not sure how prevalent such links are or when
they were valid (and when they stopped working, assuming they once
did).

--Chris