[Python-Dev] Cut/Copy/Paste items in IDLE right click context menu

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Nov 2 18:31:47 CET 2012

In article <20121102153459.0107B250174 at webabinitio.net>,
 "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 01:16:12 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Andrew Svetlov
> > <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi. There are issue for subject: http://bugs.python.org/issue1207589
> [...]
> > The status quo is that IDLE is covered by the "no new features in
> > maintenance releases" rule along with the rest of the standard
> > library. Now, it may be *unreasonable* that this is so, and changing
> > it would help improve IDLE as a tool. The way to resolve a proposal
> > like that is to put it forward as a PEP, and explain the rationale for
> > treating IDLE differently. A PEP also makes it possible to state
> > exactly which modules are being proposed for exemption from the
> > no-new-features rule.
> In this particular instance we are not looking to exempt the entire
> module, just this changeset (because it does not change callable code).
>
> Exempting IDLE in general is an interesting idea, but is not the immediate
> question.

Also, as Roger Serwy has pointed out in the issue, the change also can
affect third-party IDLE extensions but he thinks the backport is still
worthwhile.  Since the discussion has progressed primarily on the issue
tracker and the python-dev interest is probably limited, I would suggest
keeping the discussion over there rather than both here and there.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org