[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 21 18:07:36 CEST 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012 12:03:31 -0400
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 3:24 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> > docs.python.org/latest
> > docs.python.org/dev
> > docs.python.org/3.2
> > docs.python.org/3.1
> > docs.python.org/2.7
> > docs.python.org/2.6
> > etc...
>
> This looks great except for 'latest', which is ambiguous and awkward.
>
> Like Guido, I would have docs2 and docs3 link to the latest of each
> series. This gives both series equal billing. docs itself could then
> become a *neutral* index page. In retrospect, I wish we had done this a
> year ago.

I don't like docs2/docs3. First, they are clumsy to type and look
awkward. Second, it's not the right level of segregation; if you wanted
separate domains you'd really want docs.python2.org and
docs.python3.org.

So, in the end, I think the current scheme is ok and we only need to
add a "/stable" pointing to latest 3.x.

Regards

Antoine.