[Python-Dev] Accepting PEP 3144 (the ipaddress library)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:13:09 CEST 2012

Based on the current version of PEP 3144 and its reference
implementation, I am formally accepting ipaddress into the standard
library.

I believe Peter has satisfactorily resolved the concerns previously
raised with the proposed API, and if I missed anything... well, that's
why we have alpha releases and the new provisional API status :)

There's one point that could do with better documentation, which is
the meaning of a "non-strict" Network address. In ipaddr.py,
non-strict networks filled the role now filled by the separate
Interface objects in the ipaddress module. In ipaddress, the "strict"
flag instead just selects between raising a ValueError when passed a
host address (the default) or simply coercing the host address to the
appropriate network address. That behaviour strikes me as both
reasonable and useful - the coercion aspect just needs to be mentioned
in the documentation.

The integration of the module into 3.3. will be tracked in
http://bugs.python.org/issue14814

Peter will also need to be granted commit access in order to maintain
the module.

Regards,
Nick.