[Python-Dev] Recording BDFL delegates for PEPs

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 7 07:18:17 CEST 2012

Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > I have to ask - is email obfuscation still useful these days?

It's hard to say.  It's still a FAQ on Mailman lists, so people still
believe it's useful.  I don't think there's hard evidence either way
(even guessing depends on the economics of the spamming business, and
only the spammers really know that).

 > I would have thought most people protect from spam by using spam
 > filters, not by trying to conceal their addresses.

Concealing addresses is most definitely a useful way to avoid spam.
However, I would guess that the effective way to do it is to have a
personal address that is never used anywhere that is easily trawled,
not to try to obfuscate addresses that are visible on the web or
in posts to open mailing lists or Usenet.