[Python-Dev] Recording BDFL delegates for PEPs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 6 09:42:13 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2012 16:45:32 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the moment, I suggest leaving your email address out of this
>> field. The email obfuscation is applied on a field-by-field basis, and
>> the formatter for reStructuredText PEPs actually lives in the docutils
>> upstream rather than being included directly in the PEPs repo the way
>> the plaintext formatter is.
>
> I have to ask - is email obfuscation still useful these days? I would
> have thought most people protect from spam by using spam filters, not
> by trying to conceal their addresses.

I think it's one of those things where people *like* seeing it,
regardless of how effective it is in practice. The delegate field
isn't actually parsed at all, so people are free to include their
email address if they choose to - doing so won't be *necessary* until
we get an actual name collision amongst the core developers.

Cheers,
Nick.