[Python-Dev] Python program name

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 4 17:19:44 CEST 2012

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

> If that's the only failing test, we can simply skip it when run from a
> venv. A non-existent argv[0] is arguably a borderline case which you
> should only encounter when e.g. embedding Python.

Actually there are four module failures: test_sys, test_packaging,
test_distutils and test_subprocess. I haven't looked into all of them yet, but
many of the failure messages were "unable to get the locale encoding".

> getpath.c is sufficiently byzantine that we don't want to complexify it
> too much, IMHO.

Right, but the change is unlikely to add significantly to complexity. It would
be one static function e.g. named get_executable_path and one call to it,
conditional on !isfile(argv[0]), in calculate_path. That would be in two places
- Modules/getpath.c and PC/getpathp.c.

I'll skip that test_sys test for now, and see where the other failures lead me
to.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip