[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Issue #14127: Add ns= parameter to utime, futimes, and lutimes.

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri May 4 09:01:44 CEST 2012

On 05/04/2012 08:04 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:

> On 05/03/2012 10:07 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>>> +    if (times && ns) {
>>> +        PyErr_Format(PyExc_RuntimeError,
>> Why not a ValueError or TypeError?
>
> Well it's certainly not a TypeError.  The 3.2 documentation defines TypeError as:
>
>     Raised when an operation or function is applied to an object of
>     inappropriate type. The associated value is a string giving details about
>     the type mismatch.
>
> If someone called os.utime with both times and ns, and the values of each would
> have been legal if they'd been passed in in isolation, what would be the type
> mismatch?

What exception do you get otherwise when you call a function with inappropriate
argument combinations?

> Is using RuntimeError some sort of Pythonic faux pas?

RuntimeError is not used very much in the stdlib, and if used, then for somewhat
more dramatic errors.

> Finally, I appreciate the feedback, but... why post it to python-dev?  You could
> have sent me private email, or posted to the issue (#14127), the latter of which
> would have enabled using rich chocolaty Rietveld.  I've seen a bunch of comments
> on checkins posted here and it all leaves me scratching my head.

It has been argued in the past that python-committers is a better place for the
review comments, but it was declined as being "not public enough".  I agree that
python-checkins or private email *definitely* isn't public enough.

Georg