[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Issue #14687: str%tuple now uses an optimistic "unicode writer" instead of an

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 3 18:13:31 CEST 2012

On 5/3/2012 7:16 AM, victor.stinner wrote:
> http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/f1db931b93d3
> changeset:   76730:f1db931b93d3
> user:        Victor Stinner<victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> date:        Thu May 03 13:10:40 2012 +0200
> summary:
>    Issue #14687: str%tuple now uses an optimistic "unicode writer" instead of an
> accumulator. Directly write characters into the output (don't use a temporary
> list): resize and widen the string on demand.

I am curious whether these optimizations for str % tuple get applied to
equivalent str.format(*tuple) calls or if you plan to make them do so.
It seems to me that there could be one internal function that does the
concatenation, with lengthening and resizing, of literal and formatted
substrings, for both interfaces.

tjr