[Python-Dev] datetime module and pytz with dateutil

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Mar 31 12:28:55 CEST 2012

On 31 Mar 2012, at 07:32, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:38, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand why Python may not include the pytz. The Olson tz
>> database is not part of pytz.
>
> Yes it is.
>
>> Python can depend on a system tz database
>
> That works on Unix, but not on Windows, where there is no Olsen database.

*However*, doesn't Windows have its own system database? The problem is that in order to not include the olsen database, pytz (which would be a very useful addition to the standard library) would need to be modified to use the system database on Windows. This is my (potentially flawed) understanding, anyway.

Michael