[Python-Dev] Use QueryPerformanceCounter() for time.monotonic() and/or time.highres()?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Mar 31 01:49:39 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
[Lots of good stuff]

Maybe you and Victor should try to merge your proposals off-line and
then get back with a new proposal here.

> Make the epoch available in the clock wrapper as a property. At least
> then there's a mechanism for reconciling things. Don't try to mandate
> something that possibly can't be mandated.

Ah, but if a clock drifts, the epoch may too -- and we may never know
it. I like knowing all sorts of things about a clock, but I'm not sure
that for clocks other than time.time() I'd ever want to know the epoch
-- ISTM that the only thing I could do with that information would be
shooting myself in the foot. If you really want the epoch, compute it
yourself by bracketing a timer() call in two time() calls, or vice
versa (not sure which is better :-).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)