[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Issue #7652: Integrate the decimal floating point libmpdec library to speed

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Fri Mar 23 09:26:31 CET 2012

Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> As a packager, is the libmpdec library used elsewhere? For Gentoo, we
> generally prefer to package libraries separately and have Python
> depend on them. From the site, it seems like you more or less wrote
> libmpdec for usage in Python, but if it's general-purpose and actually
> used in other software, it would be nice if Python grew a configure
> option to make it use the system libmpdec.

libmpdec was actually written before the module. It's general purpose
and it fully implements the specification. I'm only aware of in-house
usage.

Someone has tried to submit a libmpdec package to OpenSUSE, but it
was rejected with the claim that there already exists a package
with the name. I think the claim is false: There is a libmpcdec
package, where "cdec" presumably stands for "codec".

I'll add the --with-system-libmpdec option with the caveat that
changes will probably make it first into the libmpdec shipped
with Python, see also:

http://bugs.python.org/issue7652#msg155744

On the bright side, I don't expect many changes, since the specification
is stable.

Stefan Krah