[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Mar 21 14:03:48 CET 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 06:58:21 +0100, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21.03.2012 00:17, R. David Murray wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:38:53 +0100, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> recently I've grown a bit tired of seeing our default Sphinx theme,
> >> especially as so many other projects use it.  I decided to play around
> >> with something "clean" this time, and this is the result:
> >>
> >>   http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html/
> >
> > The font looks better in my browser, but otherwise I prefer the current
> > style.  The biggest thing I don't like about the new style is the fact
> > that the content is not set off from the chrome by shading.  Having it
> > shaded makes it easier for my eye to ignore it and just focus on
> > the content.
>
> Not sure what "the unshaded chrome" is -- only the header bar, since the
> sidebar is shaded already?

Header bar and footer.  But I also like the fact that the current site
shades the sidebar all the way down (and darker, though obviously we have
contrast issues from some folks that don't bother me).  Otherwise that
whitespace on the left just looks...wrong.  But that last is considerably
less important.

--David