[Python-Dev] Python install layout and the PATH on win32

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 01:10:08 CET 2012

On 16/03/2012 10:48 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:

> The implementation of virtualenv (and especially PEP 405 pyvenv) are
> largely based around making sure that the internal layout of a
> virtualenv is identical to the layout of an installed Python on that
> same platform, to avoid any need to special-case virtualenvs in
> distutils. The one exception to this is the location of the python
> binary itself in Windows virtualenvs; we do place it inside Scripts\ so
> that the virtualenv can be "activated" by adding only a single path to
> the shell PATH. But I would be opposed to any additional special-casing
> of the internal layout of a virtualenv

Unless I misunderstand, that sounds like it should keep everyone happy;
there already is a special case for the executable on Windows being in a
different place in an installed layout vs a virtual-env layout.
Changing this to use "bin" instead of "Scripts" makes the virtualenv
more consistent across platforms and doesn't impose any additional
special-casing for Windows (just slightly changes the existing
special-case :)

Thanks,

Mark