[Python-Dev] Docs of weak stdlib modules should encourage exploration of 3rd-party alternatives

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 14 10:07:14 CET 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:55:35 +1100
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> What problem are we actually trying to solve here? Do we think that there are
> users who really have no clue where to find 3rd party software AND don't know
> how to use Google, BUT read the Python docs? I find it difficult to believe
> that there are people who both read the docs and are so clueless that they
> need to be told that there are alternatives available and which they should be
> using.

I find it quite easy to believe myself. Many people will learn some
Python by reading the docs, without knowing the rest of the ecosystem.

So, yes, publicizing the widely accepted alternatives (such as Twisted
for asyncore) *is* helpful.

(that doesn't mean any shiny new gadget must be advocated, though;
third-party libraries should be mature enough before we start
mentioning them)

> Should we recommend wxPython over Pyjamas or PyGUI or PyGtk? On what basis?

You don't have to recommend anything. Just mention them.
You know what, we *already* do that job:
http://docs.python.org/dev/library/othergui.html#other-gui-packages

Regards

Antoine.