[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.3.0 alpha 1

Jim J. Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:43:54 CET 2012

In http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-March/117348.html
Georg Brandl <georg at python.org>  posted:

> Python 3.3 includes a range of improvements of the 3.x series, as well as easier
> porting between 2.x and 3.x.  Major new features in the 3.3 release series are:

As much as it is nice to just celebrate improvements, I think
readers (particularly on the download page
http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.3.0/  ) would be better
served if there were an additional point about porting and the
hash changes.

http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.3.html#porting-to-python-3-3
also failed to mention this, and even the changelog didn't seem to
warn people about failing tests or tell them how to work around it.

Perhaps something like:

Hash Randomization (issue 13703) is now on by default.  Unfortunately,
this does break some tests; it can be temporarily turned off by setting
the environment variable PYTHONHASHSEED to "0" before launching python.

-jJ

--

If there are still threading problems with my replies, please
email me with details, so that I can try to resolve them.  -jJ