[Python-Dev] Assertion in _PyManagedBuffer_FromObject()

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Mar 3 09:48:18 CET 2012

Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Yes, that's a suitable example. It would take the ndarray out of the loop -
> after all, it has nothing to do with what the memoryview wants, and won't
> need to do any cleanup for the memoryview's buffer view either. Keeping it
> explicitly alive in the memoryview is just a waste of resources.

Yes, this should be supported. The "cleanup handler" in the earlier example
got me on the wrong track, that's why I kept insisting this wasn't necessary.

> I'm not using this anywhere. My guess is that it would be more of a feature
> than something to provide legacy code support for, but I can't speak for
> anyone else. In general, the NumPy mailing list is a good place to ask
> about these things.

NumPy re-exports, this was confirmed in issue #10181. That's actually
the main reason why I considered re-exporting rather than redirecting
the standard model and built the test suite around it.

Stefan Krah