[Python-Dev] Add a frozendict builtin type

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 00:25:43 CET 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

> As it stands, I don't find the PEP compelling. The hardening use case
> might be significant but Victor needs to spell it out if it's to make
> a difference.

If his sandboxing project needs it, the type need not be public.
It can join dictproxy and structseq in our toolkit of internal types.

Adding frozendict() as a new public type is unnecessary
and undesirable -- a proliferation of types makes it harder to
decide which tool is the most appropriate for a given problem.
The itertools module ran into the issue early.  Adding a new
itertool tends to make the whole module harder to figure-out.

Raymond

P.S  ISTM that lately Python is growing fatter without growing more
powerful or expressive.  Generators, context managers, and decorators
were honking good ideas -- we need more of those rather than
minor variations on things we already have.

Plz forgive the typos -- I'm typing with one hand -- the other is holding
a squiggling baby :-)