[Python-Dev] PEP 423 : naming conventions and recipes related to packaging

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jun 27 13:34:53 CEST 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:19:57 +1000
> I thought the PEP actually covered it pretty well:
> - if you don't want to worry about name conflicts for every module, pick
> *one* short top level namespace for your group and use that
> - for shared modules, use the top level namespace with PyPI as the name
> registry

That's not very clear to me when reading the PEP.
For example, one of the items in the "overview" is "use top-level
namespace for ownership". I don't think it should be, unless we want to
promote such a practice.

Similarly, I think the section about private projects ("Private
(including closed-source) projects use a namespace") should be removed.
It is not our duty to promote naming standards for private (i.e.
internal) projects. Also, I don't see what's so important about using
your company's name as a top-level namespace. You don't need it for
conflict avoidance: you can just as well use distinctive project names.

Regards

Antoine.