[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 16:14:46 CEST 2012

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net> writes:

> But what makes you think that redesigning everything would make those
> Windows features magically available?

Nothing at all.

> This isn't about "representing" "constitutencies". python-dev is not a
> bureaucracy, it needs people doing actual work. People could have

Well, for example, PEP 397 was proposed by Mark Hammond to satisfy a particular
constituency (people using multiple Python versions on Windows). Interested
parties added their input. Then it got implemented and integrated.

You can see from some of the Numpy/Scipy developer comments that some in that
constituency feel that their needs aren't/weren't being addressed.

> proposed patches for these features and they didn't do it (AFAIK).

Sure they did - for example, I implemented Windows executable script handling as
part of my work on testing venv operation with pysetup, and linked to it on the
relevant ticket. It wasn't exactly rejected, though perhaps it wasn't reviewed
because of lack of time, other priorities etc. and fell between the cracks. But
I'm not making any complaint about this; there were definitely bigger issues to
work on. I only bring it up in response to the "don't just talk about it; code
doesn't write itself, you know" I read in your comment.

> Like WSGI2 and other similar things, this is the kind of discussion
> that will peter out in a few weeks and fall into oblivion.

Quite possibly, but that'll be the chicken-and-egg thing I mentioned. Some
projects can be worked on in comparative isolation; other things, like
packaging, need inputs from a wider range of people to gain the necessary
credibility.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip