[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jun 22 14:20:20 CEST 2012

On Jun 22, 2012, at 07:49 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:

>The format-neutral alternative I used for logging configuration was a
>dictionary schema - JSON, YAML and Python code can all be mapped to
>that. Perhaps the relevant APIs can work at the dict layer.

I don't much care whether it's ini, json, or yaml, but I do think it needs to
be declarative and language neutral.  I don't want to lock up all that
metadata into Python data structures.  There are valid use cases for being
able to access the data from outside of Python.

And please give some thought to test declarations.  We need a standard way to
declare how a package's tests should be run, and what the test dependencies
are, so that we can improve the quality of all distro/binary packages by
running the test suite at build time.  Having to guess whether it's `python
setup.py test` or `python -m unittest discover` or whether nose or py.test is
required, etc. etc. is no good.

-Barry