[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 11:11:20 CEST 2012

David Cournapeau <cournape <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I agree having yet another format is a bit crazy, and am actually considering
changing bento.info to be a yaml. I initially did got toward a cabal-like syntax
instead for the following reasons:
>   - lack of conditional (a must IMO, it is even more useful for cross
-platform stuff than it is for RPM only)

Conditionals could perhaps be handled in different ways, e.g.

1. Markers as used in distutils2/packaging (where the condition is platform or
version related)
2. A scheme to resolve variables, such as is used in PEP 391 (dictionary-based
configuration for logging).

If conditionals are much more involved than this, there's a possibility of
introducing too much program logic - the setup.py situation

>   - regarding hooks: I think it is simpler to have a single file which
contains all the hooks, if only to allow for easy communication between hooks
and code reuse between hooks. I don't see any drawback to using only one file ?

I was assuming that the dist.yaml file would just have callable references here;
I suppose having (sizable) Python fragments in dist.yaml might become unwieldy.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip