[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Wed Jun 20 11:17:13 CEST 2012

On 6/20/12 11:05 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Tarek Ziadé<tarek at ziade.org>  wrote:
>> So I prefer to hold it and have a solid implementation in the stldib. The
>> only thing I am asking is to retain ourselves to do *anything* in distutils
>> and continue to declare it frozen, because I know it will be tempting to do
>> stuff there...
> That policy has been a bit annoying. Gentoo has been carrying patches
> forever to improve compilation with C++ stuff (mostly about correctly
> passing on environment variables), and forward-porting them on every
> release gets tedious, but the packaging/distutils2 effort has made it
> harder to get them included in plain distutils. I understand there
> shouldn't be crazy patching in distutils, but allowing it to inch
> forward a little would make the lives of the Gentoo Python team
> easier, at least.
>
> Cheers,
If distutils gets new features I think it's killing the packaging effort.

Maybe these new features could be implemented in packaging, then bridged
in Distutils ?

the Compilation feature is isolated enough to do this.

In any case, I guess we should have some kind of policy in place where
we list the exceptions when distutils
can be changed.

Maybe in the packaging PEP ?

Cheers