[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Wed Jun 20 10:55:02 CEST 2012

On 6/19/12 11:46 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:

>   I don’t think (a) would give us enough time; we really want a few
> months (and releases) to hash out the API (most notably with the pip
> and buildout developers) and clean the bdist situation.  Likewise (c)
> would require developer (my) time that is currently in short supply.
> (b) also requires time and would make development harder, not to
> mention probable user pain.  This leaves (d), after long reflection,
> as my preferred choice, even though I disliked the idea at first (and
> I fully expect Tarek to feel the same way).

Yeah I feel the same way. +1 for (d).  I had unfortunately no time
lately. Thanks for picking up things.

We want a solid distutils replacement, and I think we wrote solid PEPs
and seemed to have find consensus for most issues in the past two years.

So I prefer to hold it and have a solid implementation in the stldib.
The only thing I am asking is to retain ourselves to do *anything* in
distutils and continue to declare it frozen, because I know it will be
tempting to do stuff there...

Cheers
Tarek