[Python-Dev] 3.3 beta in one week

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 18 20:05:02 CEST 2012

On 6/18/2012 11:23 AM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:17 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> this is just a quick reminder that the feature freeze for 3.3
>>> will start next weekend with the release of beta1.  Since  I
>>> won't be able to shift that date for short periods (the next
>>> possible date for me would be around July 16), I hope that
>>> everybody has planned ahead accordingly.
>>
>> Expect some rushing of PEP 397 then.
>
> FYI: Martin requested that I be the PEP czar for 397, so the rush
> kicks off...now :)

Some people who have downloaded the standalone version have praised it
and recommended it on python-list. So I hope you include something for
testing, even if details are changed later. It seems to solve real
problems on Windows for many people.

A couple of comments on the PEP.

"Independent installations will always only overwrite newer versions of
the launcher with older versions." 'always only' is a bit awkward and
the sentence looks backwards to me. I would expect only overwriting
older versions with newer versions.

---
These seem contradictory:

"The 32-bit distribution of Python will not install a 32-bit version of
the launcher on a 64-bit system."

I presume this mean that it will install the 64-bit version and that
there will always be only one version of the launcher on the system.

"On 64bit Windows with both 32bit and 64bit implementations of the
same (major.minor) Python version installed, the 64bit version will
always be preferred.  This will be true for both 32bit and 64bit
implementations of the launcher - a 32bit launcher will prefer to
execute a 64bit Python installation of the specified version if
available."

This implies to me that the 32bit installation *will* install a 32bit
launcher and that there could be both versions of the launcher installed.

--
Terry Jan Reedy