[Python-Dev] deprecating .pyo and -O

Floris Bruynooghe flub at devork.be
Thu Jun 14 13:58:16 CEST 2012

On 14 June 2012 11:25, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Honestly, I think the best option would be to deprecate .pyo files as
> well as the useless -O option. They only cause confusion without
> providing any significant benefits.

+1

But what happens to __debug__ and assert statements?  I think it
should be possible to always put assert statements inside a __debug__
block and then create -O a simple switch for setting __debug__ to
False.  If desired a simple strip tool could then easily remove
__debug__ blocks and (unused) docstrings.

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom