[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jun 14 03:31:07 CEST 2012

Cameron Simpson writes:

 > This approach has its own problems. Is the proposed list, like many lists,
 > restricted to accept posts only from subscribers? If that is the case,
 > when someone CCs the VM list, everyone honouring the CC in replies needs
 > to be a VM list member if they are not to get annoying bounce
 > messages.

Mailman has a feature called "sibling lists", which seems to include
cross-checking membership on posts, although I'm not sure if it is
tuned to exactly this purpose.

In any cases, if the proposed list is not a discussion list, it can be
configured not to send bounce messages just because somebody honored
CC.  For example, by keying on the Reference and In-Reply-To headers,
and discarding the message if they are present (possible by ordinary
configuration of the spam filters).  For bonus points, bounce such
messages when python-dev is not present among the visible addressees.
(Might require a special Handler, but it wouldn't be a big deal to
write it because it can be installed only for the new list.)

 > +1 to this, but how to keep this etiquette maintained?

A filter on the new list, implemented as above.  It's pretty much
trivial for those with the know-how.

 > And (premised on my concern above), do people wanting to CC: the VM list
 > for the heads-up purpose need to join it first?

Probably not, but this is hardly burdensome; many people with the
background to know when to CC: may want to subscribe anyway even if
they are subscribed to python-dev, and traffic should be quite low.
If even so that's a bother, they can set their subscription to no-mail.

 > Conversely, some of this discussion mentions that people don't subscribe
 > to python-dev; do they need to subscribe to chime in when the bat signal
 > goes off?

Maybe not: I believe it's possible to post to python-dev via Gmane if
you're not subscribed.  Even if they need to be subscribed, there is a
wealth of options, including Gmane and the archives, for reading
traffic without receiving it as mail (ie, by subscribing and then
setting the no-mail flag).

 > Hackish idea: suppose there were a special purpose mail forwarder,
 > like a write-only mailing list? It would require special Mailman
 > hackery,

Not that special.