[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:48:47 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
> wrote:
> > But what guarantee do you have that (a) the right people sign up for
> > the new list, and (b) topics are correctly brought up there instead of
> > on python-dev? I agree that python-dev is turning into a firehose, but
> > I am reluctant to create backwaters where people might arrive at what
> > they think is a consensus only because the important opinions aren't
> > represented there.
>
> If that's a concern, I'd be happy to limit the use of the new list to
> "Input from other implementations needed on python-dev thread <x>".
>
> At the moment, it's a PITA to chase other implementations to get
> confirmation that they can cope with a change we're considering, so
> I'd like confirmation that either:

Hm.

Maybe we can do something to change the python-dev ethics in order to
alleviate the problem?

I'm skimming python-dev and read some of the discussion. The problem is
when a VM-related question shows up in the message 77 of a thread that does
not have anything in topic that would catch my attention. If all the
interesting questions that we have to answer are in their own topic, I
think it's fine to be subscribed to python-dev, provided I don't have to
read all the bikeshedding.

But maybe I'm too optimistic and this is not changeable.

Cheers,
fijal