[Python-Dev] Built-in sub modules

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:37:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Albert Zeyer <albzey at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I also searched a bit around and I didn't directly found any easier
> way to do this. Only a post from 2009
> (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/cplusplus-sig/2009-January/014178.html)
> which seems like a much more ugly hack.

Right, it isn't currently supported.
http://bugs.python.org/issue1644818 is a long standard feature request
to add this functionality.

For Python 3.3, the old import system (written in C) has been replaced
with importlib (written in Python). This should make it easier to
extend and experiment with builtin submodule support. An importlib
based solution should also work in Python 3.2.

Further discussions would be best directed to import-sig, until an
importlib based solution is available for consideration.

Cheers,
Nick.