[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

fwierzbicki at gmail.com fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:39:47 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The windows port of pypy makes special demands on stdlib, specifically that
>> files are explicitly closed. There are some other minor issues, in order to
>> merge all the changes necessary to get pypy windows up to speed, around 10
>> modules or at  least their tests seem to need to be modified.
>> I have been doing a bit of work on the stdlib shipped with pypy 1.9
>> (version 2.7.2 unfortunately) to make it compliant. Assuming there is interest,
>> what would be the best path to get, for instance, a modified version of
>> mailbox.py with its tests (test_mailbox.py and test_old_mailbox.py) backported
>> to cpython?
>
> These fixes would also be useful for IronPython and possibly Jython as
> well. Unclosed files are probably the biggest set of failures when
> running CPython's tests on IronPython (along with assuming that
> sys.platform == 'win32' means Windows). Whether or not they get
> backported to CPython, it might be worth finding a way to share the
> 2.7 stdlib between the alternative implementations (changes to 3.x
> should go into CPython, obviously).
I think it's supposed to be alright to push changes to CPython's 2.7
*tests* (like test_mailbox.py) but not other parts of the standard
library (like mailbox.py) -- I'd love to find a way to share the
modifications from various implementations though -- and in the 3.x
future hopefully it can all just end up in CPython's Lib.

-Frank