[Python-Dev] what is happening with the regex module going into Python 3.3?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 4 09:36:20 CEST 2012

On 04.06.2012 01:28, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I apologise, "unmaintained" is too strong a word. I mean "lacking an
> owner sufficiently confident in their authority and expertise and with
> sufficient time and energy to add,or approve the addition of,
> substantial new features which may require significant refactoring of
> internal details".
>
> Perhaps "unowned" would be a better word? Saying yes or no to major
> feature requests isn't the same as fixing errors in existing features.
> (Compare regular email package maintenance to RDM's recent updates)

I see the same risk for regex. Maybe somebody steps forward and
integrates the code, but I doubt that someone would then "own" the
code in the sense you refer to, i.e. decide on major new features, or
perform a significant internal refactoring. It would all be up to
MRAB.

Also, there is a chance that a maintainer for SRE may come back.
Gustavo Niemeyer had that role for some time after /F left, and
anybody sufficiently interested in a specific new feature might
grow into that role as well.

Regards,
Martin