[Python-Dev] whither PEP 407 and 413 (release cycle PEPs)?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 3 18:25:08 CEST 2012

On 6/3/2012 7:22 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> On 01.06.2012 19:33, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> Are these dead in the water or are we going to try to change our
>> release cycle? I'm just asking since 3.3 final is due out in about 3
>> months and deciding on this along with shifting things if we do make
>> a change could end up taking that long and I suspect if we don't do
>> this for 3.3 we are probably never going to do it for Python 3 series
>> as a whole.
>
> I'm -1 on both PEPs.

I pretty much agree. There is certainly no consensus and the possible
benefit is not obviously substantially more than the cost.

> For PEP 407, I fail to see what problem it solves. The PEP is short on
> rationale, so let me guess what the motivation for the PEP is:
> While I well recall the feeling of getting changes "out", the real
> concerns only exist for the very first contribution:
> * Now that the patch is uploaded, can somebody *please* review it?
> How hard can it be to look over 20 lines of code?

Example http://bugs.python.org/issue13598
OP submitted revised patch in response to review 4 months ago

> As for us not getting enough contributions: can we please worry
> about that when we have all patches processed that already have
> been contributed?

I suspect that having too many unattended patches sitting on the tracker
discourages one from writing and submitting more. I also suspect, for
instance, that applying some of Roger Serwy's Idle patches has
encouraged him to write more.

--
Terry Jan Reedy