[Python-Dev] PEP 11 change: Windows Support Lifecycle

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 1 15:22:57 CEST 2012

I have just codified our current policy on supporting
Windows releases, namely that we only support some Windows
version until Microsoft ends its extended support period.
As a consequence, Windows XP will be supported until
08/04/2014, and Windows 7 until 14/01/2020 (unless Microsoft
extends that date further).

I have also added wording on Visual Studio support which may
still require consensus. My proposed policy is this:

1. There is only one VS version supported for any feature release.
    Because of the different branches, multiple versions may be
    in use.
2. The version that we use for a new feature release must still
    have mainstream support (meaning it can still be purchased
    regularly).
3. We should strive to keep the number of VS versions used
    simultaneously small.

VS 2008 has mainstream support until 09/04/2013, so we could have
used it for 3.3 still, however, mainstream support ends within the
likely lifetime of 3.3, so switching to VS 2010 was better. VS 2010
will have mainstream support until 14/07/2015, so we can likely
use it for 3.4 as well, and only reconsider for 3.5 (at which point XP
support will not be an issue anymore). VS 2012 is out for 3.4 as it
doesn't support XP.

Regards,
Martin