[Python-Dev] Why no venv in existing directory?

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Thu Jul 19 14:28:15 CEST 2012

Hi All,

While trying 3.3 beta I found that I cannot use my favorite virtualenv pattern with pyvenv:

   $ virtualenv .
   Installing.....done.

   $ pyvenv .
   Error: Directory exists: /Users/stefan/sandbox/foo

I appreciate that this behavior is documented and was in the PEP from the start:
"If the target directory already exists an error will be raised, unless the --clear or --upgrade option was provided."

Still, I am curious what the rationale behind this restriction is. For me, being able to "bless" an existing directory with a virtualenv has always been one of its attractions.

Thanks,
Stefan

--
Stefan H. Holek