[Python-Dev] A new JIT compiler for a faster CPython?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:16:32 CEST 2012

Hi Victor.

I'm willing to explain to you details why having LLVM does not solve almost
any issues and why PyPy is complex, or why you think it's complex. Find me
on IRC if you want (fijal, can be found on #pypy on freenode for example).
In our opinion something like psyco that gets brought to the levels of
speed of pypy would be massively more complex than PyPy, most importantly
it would be incredibly fragile. It's possible, but it's lots and lots of
work. I don't think it possibly can be done with one person.

Speaking about compatible with cpython and yet fast - I would strongly
recommend talking to Mark Shannon (the author of HotPy). He's by far the
best person who can answer some questions and have a rough plan how to go
forward. It would be much better to concentrate efforts rather than write
yet another half-finished JIT (because reading code is hard).

Cheers,
fijal