[Python-Dev] Bloody FAQ (Was: [Python-ideas] itertools.chunks(iterable, size, fill=None))

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 23:11:46 CEST 2012

Stefan Behnel wrote:
> anatoly techtonik, 05.07.2012 21:41:
> >
> > Make the bloody FAQ and summarize this stuff? Why waste each others
> > time?
>
> Yes, that is exactly the question.
>
> It takes time to write things up nicely. I mean, once someone has pointed
> out to you that this has been discussed before, you could just go, look it
> up (or search for it), and then put it into a Wiki or blog post yourself,
> or sum it up and send it to the mailing list as a reply. Why rely on others
> to do it for you?

To be fair, Anatoly has done quite a bit of maintenance on some of the Wiki
content around various aspects of the project, so it's not as if he's
demanding anything out of the ordinary or asking for others to do things that
he isn't already doing in some sense. My experience is that there usually
needs to be some willingness on the other end of the transaction, and if it
takes repetition to encourage it amongst those who don't see the current
situation as a problem for them, then so be it.

Of course, this kind of documentation activity, where one gathers together
historical decisions and the consensus from long-forgotten discussions, is
pretty thankless work. I occasionally regard it as worthwhile if only to
bring up something someone said as an inconvenient interruption in any
current discussion, but that's a pretty minimal reward for all the effort
unless one has such work as part of one's daily routine.

Paul