[Python-Dev] GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?)

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jul 5 20:27:02 CEST 2012

>> You won't get any changes in to CPython by creating pull requests. We
>> use http://bugs.python.org/ for that, sorry.
>
> Question -- is there a reason to abide by this rule for docs?  That is, if we
> could get a sympathetic core dev to look at pull requests for docs as part of
> a streamlined process, would it cause problems?

How do you communicate a "pull request"? On bitbucket, there is a
"pull request"
UI resulting in a tracker item being generated (and an email being sent), but
hg.python.org doesn't have a notion of pull requests. Of course, you could
use any communication means (email, telephone call, carrier pigeon) to request
a pull from a "sympathetic core dev".

> (What I'm really asking is whether or the bugs.python.org process is
> considered critical for potentially minor doc changes and additions.)

The sympathetic core dev is mostly free to bypass any submission process
initially; commits that bypass established procedures will likely be
questioned
only after the fact.

In the specific case, I'd be worried to verify that the submitter has provided
a contributor form. That's easy to do in the bug tracker, but difficult to do
in an offline pull request. Of course, for a really minor doc change
(e.g. typo
fixes), no contrib form is necessary.

Regards,
Martin