[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 ipaddr module (was Re: PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:09:22 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Peter Moody <pmoody at google.com> wrote:
> Note, http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipaddr is actually the same module,
> but down a few versions. I'm not sure if your concern is about the
> same library having such a different api or if you had thought they
> were completely different libraries.

No, I knew that - my point was that the changes in the PEP 3144 branch
are backwards incompatible with the existing ipaddr API (mainly due to
the always-strict Network objects, with the permissive behaviour moved
out to the separate Interface objects, but also due to the renamed
factory functions), so it may be easier to just give the 3144 version
of the module a different name.

Cheers,
Nick.