[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 07:42:28 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm willing to go along with that (especially given your report of
>> AppEngine's experience with the "labs" namespace).
>>
>> Can we class this as a pronouncement on PEP 408? That is, "No to
>> adding a __preview__ namespace, but yes to adding regex directly for
>> 3.3"?
>
> Yup. We seem to have a tendency to over-analyze decisions a bit lately
> (witness the hand-wringing about the hash collision DoS attack).

I have now updated PEP 408 accordingly (i.e. rejected, but with a
specific note about regex).

And (since Alex Gaynor brought it up off-list), I'll explicitly note
here that I'm taking your approval as granting the special permission
PEP 399 needs to accept a C extension module without a pure Python
equivalent. Patches to *add* a pure Python version for use by other
implementations are of course welcome (in practice, I suspect it's
likely only in PyPy that such an engine would be fast enough to be
usable).

Regards,
Nick.