[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Jan 28 22:49:52 CET 2012

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>Le samedi 28 janvier 2012 à 10:46 -0800, Mike Meyer a écrit :
>> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> >You will see people copying recipes found on the internet without
>> >knowing that they rely on unstable APIs.
>>
>> How. About doing them the way we do depreciated modules, and have
>them
>> spit warnings to stderr?  Maybe add a flag and environment variable
>> disable that.
>
>You're proposing that new experimental modules spit warnings when you
>use them?

To be explicit, when the system loada them.

> I don't think that's a good way of promoting their use :)

And importing something from __preview__or __experimental__or whatever won't? This thread did include the suggestion that they go into their final location instead of a magic module.

>(something we do want to do even though we also want to convey the idea
>that they're not yet "stable" or "fully approved")

Doing it with a message pointing at the page describing the status makes sure users read the docs before using them. That solves the problem of using them without realizing it.