[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jan 28 15:30:30 CET 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:49:40 -0500
Matt Joiner <anacrolix at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW I'm now -1 for this idea. Stronger integration with PyPI and
> packaging systems is much preferable.

That will probably never happen. "pip install XXX" is the best we
(python-dev and the community) can do. "import some_module" won't
magically start fetching some_module from PyPI if it isn't installed on
your system.

So the bottom line is: we would benefit from an intermediate status
between "available on PyPI" and "shipped as a stable API in the
stdlib". The __preview__ proposal does just that in an useful way; are
there any alternatives you'd like to suggest?

Regards

Antoine.