[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 03:02:02 CET 2012

On 27/01/2012 20:43, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Eli Bendersky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Following an earlier discussion on python-ideas [1], we would like to
>> propose the following PEP for review. Discussion is welcome.
>

> I think you need to emphasize that modules in __preview__ are NOT
> expected to have a forward-compatible, stable, API. This is a feature
> of __preview__, not a bug, and I believe it is the most important
> feature.
>
> I see responses to this PEP that assume that APIs will be stable,

I didn't see responses like that - the *point* of this pep is to allow
an api we think *should* be in the standard library stabilise and mature
(that's how I see it anyway). There is a difference between "not yet
stable" and "we will make huge gratuitous changes" though. We *might*
make huge gratuitous changes, but only if they're really needed (meaning
they're huge but not gratuitous I guess).

> and that having a module fail to graduate out of __preview__ should be
> an extraordinary event.

I would say this will probably be the case. Once we add something there
will be resistance to removing it and we shouldn't let things rot in
__preview__ either. I would say failing to graduate would be the
exception, although maybe not extraordinary.

> But if this is the case, then why bother with __preview__? It just
> adds complexity to the process -- if __preview__.spam and spam are
> expected to be the same, then just spam straight into the std lib and
> be done with it.

I think you're misunderstanding what was suggested. The suggestion was
that once spam has graduated from __preview__ into stdlib, that
__preview__.spam should remain as an alias - so that code using it from
__preview__ at least has a fighting chance of working.

> This PEP only makes sense if we assume that __preview__.spam and spam
> *will* be different,

I disagree. Once there is a spam they should remain the same.
__preview__ is for packages that haven't yet made it into the standard
library - not a place for experimenting with apis that are already there.
> even if only in minor ways, and that there might not even be a spam.
> There should be no expectation that every __preview__ module must
> graduate,

Graduate or die however.
> or that every standard library module must go through __preview__. If
> it is stable and uncontroversial, __preview__ adds nothing to the
> process.

Sure. __preview__ is for things that *need* previewing.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/