[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 02:04:09 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Matt Joiner <anacrolix at gmail.com> wrote:
> +0. I think the idea is right, and will help to get good quality
> modules in at a faster rate. However it is compensating for a lack of
> interface and packaging standardization in the 3rd party module world.

No, it really isn't. virtualenv and pip already work *beautifully*, so
long as you're in an environment where:

1. Due diligence isn't a problem
2. Network connectivity isn't a problem
3. You *already know* about virtual environments and the Python Package Index
4. You either don't need dependencies written in C, or the ones you
need are written to compile cleanly under distutils and you aren't on
Windows (because Microsoft consider building fully functional binaries
from source to be an optional extra people should be charged for
rather than a fundamental feature of an operating system)

It would probably be worth adding a heading specifically countering
this myth, though.

Cheers,
Nick.