[Python-Dev] python build failed on mac

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Jan 22 19:17:03 CET 2012

On 22 Jan 2012, at 17:43, Łukasz Langa wrote:

> Wiadomość napisana przez Michael Foord w dniu 22 sty 2012, o godz. 14:14:
>
>> 	./configure CC=gcc-4.2 --prefix=/dev/null --with-pydebug
>
> Why the phony prefix?

Heh, it's what I've always done - I think copied from other developers.

The dev guide suggests it:

http://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html#unix

There is normally no need to install your built copy of Python! The interpreter will realize where it is being run from and thus use the files found in the working copy. If you are worried you might accidentally install your working copy build, you can add --prefix=/dev/null to the configuration step.

Not that this is particularly a worry for me...

All the best,

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/