[Python-Dev] Counting collisions for the win

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jan 20 23:11:15 CET 2012

On 1/20/2012 2:51 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> I think the counting collision is at best a bandaid and not a proper fix
> stemmed from a desire to not break existing applications on a bugfix
> release ...

My opinion of counting is better than yours, but even conceding the
theoretical, purity argument, our release process is practical as well.
There have been a few occasions when fixes to bugs in our code have been
delayed from a bugfix release to the next feature release -- because the
fix would break too much code depending on the bug.

Some years ago there was a proposal that we should deliberately tweak
hash() to break 'buggy' code that depended on it not changing. This
never happened. So it has been left de facto constant, to the extent it
is, for some years.

--
Terry Jan Reedy