[Python-Dev] Writable __doc__

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 19 22:21:28 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > We should not encourage people to write code that works with a certain
> > bugfix release but not with the previous bugfix release of the same
> > feature release.
>
> Then what's the point of a bug-fix release?  If 3.2.1 had broken
> threading, wouldn't we fix it in 3.2.2 and encourage folks to switch to
> 3.2.2?  Or would we scrap 3.2 and move immediately to 3.3?  (Is that more
> or less what happened with 3.0?)

Usually the bugs fixed in bugfix releases are things that usually go well
but don't work under certain circumstances.

But I'd also be happy to just declare that assignable __doc__ is a feature
without explaining why.

 Like it or not, this has worked this way ever since new-style classes were
> introduced. That has made it a de-facto feature.

But what of the discrepancy between the 'type' metaclass and any other
> Python metaclass?

Michael Foord explained that.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)