[Python-Dev] Writable __doc__

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jan 19 18:46:07 CET 2012

Guido van Rossum wrote:
 > We should not encourage people to write code that works with a certain
 > bugfix release but not with the previous bugfix release of the same
 > feature release.

Then what's the point of a bug-fix release?  If 3.2.1 had broken
threading, wouldn't we fix it in 3.2.2 and encourage folks to switch to
3.2.2?  Or would we scrap 3.2 and move immediately to 3.3?  (Is that
more or less what happened with 3.0?)

> Like it or not, this has worked this way ever since new-style classes
> were introduced. That has made it a de-facto feature.

But what of the discrepancy between the 'type' metaclass and any other
Python metaclass?

> Given that we haven't had any complaints about this in nearly a decade,
> the backport can't be important. Don't do it.

Agreed.

~Ethan~