[Python-Dev] PEP 407 / splitting the stdlib

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:01:15 CET 2012

On Jan 19, 2012 9:28 AM, "Bill Janssen" <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure how much of a problem this really is.  I continually build
> fairly complicated systems with Python that do a lot of HTTP networking,
> for instance.  It's fairly easy to replace use of the standard library
> modules with use of Tornado and httplib2, and I wouldn't think of *not*
> doing that.  But the standard modules are there, out-of-the-box, for
> experimentation and tinkering, and they work in the sense that they pass
> their module tests.  Are those standard modules as "Internet-proof" as
> some commercially-supported package with an income stream that supports
> frequent security updates would be?

This is starting to sound a little like the discussion about the
__preview__ / __experimental__ idea.  If I recall correctly, one of the
points is that for some organizations getting a third-party library
approved for use is not trivial.  In contrast, inclusion in the stdlib is
like a free pass, since the organization can rely on the robustness of the
CPython QA and release processes.

As well, there is at least a small cost with third-party libraries for
those that maintain more rigorous configuration management.  In contrast,
there is basically no extra cost with new/updated stdlib, beyond upgrading
Python.

-eric

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ericsnowcurrently%40gmail.com