[Python-Dev] PEP 407: New release cycle and introducing long-term support versions

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 19 07:33:51 CET 2012

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > Pardon me, but people like Stephen Turnbull are *users* of Python, exactly the
 > sort of people you DO have to convince that moving to an accelerated or more
 > complex release process will result in a better product.

Well, to be fair, Antoine is right in excluding me from the user base
he's trying to attract (as I understand it).  I do not maintain
products or systems that depend on Python working 99.99999% of the
time, and in fact in many of my personal projects I use trunk.

One of the problems with this kind of discussion is that the targets
of the new procedures are not clear in everybody's mind, but all of us
tend to use generic terms like "users" when we mean to discuss
benefits or costs to a specific class of users.