[Python-Dev] PEP 407 / splitting the stdlib

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:06:01 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
> Do we have any evidence of this alleged bitrot? I spend a lot of time on the
> comp.lang.python newsgroup and I see no evidence that people using Python
> believe the standard library is rotting from lack of attention.

IMO, it's a problem mainly with network (especially web) protocols and
file formats. It can take the stdlib a long time to catch up with
external developments due to the long release cycle, so people are
often forced to switch to third party libraries that better track the
latest versions of relevant standards (de facto or otherwise).

Cheers,
Nick.